Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Rum Cake

Photo Credit: Pioneer Woman Home and Garden
The Holidays are upon us!

Starbucks is officially serving drinks in their Christmas cups which means its finally here: The Holidays! Growing up the holiday season was always a huge deal. My mom and dad would decorate the entire house with lights making sure to always "out-do" the neighbors. The day after Thanksgiving my Grandma would have our tree up and decorated with all of her beautiful ornaments. It was all so magical back then that as an adult with my own home I try to recreate the memories.

The holidays also meant lots of cooking and baking, something I did not appreciate until I was older. Luckily I have been passed down the wonderful recipes of my Grandma Mable which I make every year to keep her spirit and traditions alive. To start of my month of Holiday recipes I am sharing with you my favorite recipe that I look forward to having every year. I love this recipe so much, that when I moved to Hawaii and couldnt make it home for the holidays I asked my Aunt Barbara to send it to me in a care package. The first recipe in my holiday collection is my Grandma Mable's Rum Cake. Moist yellow cake topped with crunchy pecan and soaked with a delicious rum glaze is sure to bring out the holiday spirit in you. The best part is that it is so easy to make! A wonderful dessert to bring to any holiday gathering. Enjoy!






Rum Cake


Ingredients
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 box yellow cake mix
½ cup oil
½ cup water
1/3 cup rum (light or dark)
4 eggs
¼ cup chopped pecans

Glaze
¼ cup water
1 cup sugar
¼ cup rum
½ cup butter (1 stick)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325. Sprinkle pecans in the bottom of a WELL greased bundt pan.
2. Mix together cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and rum. Beat together with electric beaters until fully combined.
2. Pour batter into pan over the top of the pecans.
3. Bake at 325 or 1 hour. Make the glaze ten minutes before cake is done. On stovetop in small saucepan combine butter, sugar, water and rum. Heat until boiling.
4. Remove cake from oven, let cool 3 minutes, then pour glaze over top. Let stand in pan overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Flip pan gently to dump cake out. 
**Note: The alcohol is cooked out of the glaze when it boils so this recipe is suitable for all**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Sweet Bon Vivant | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates